If you’re wholly focused on increasing revenue by increasing membership at your gym, you could be overlooking a powerful existing source of revenue: your current members! You can easily sell classes, merchandise, and more to your members by using point of sale (POS) software to increase gym revenue.
When done right and properly managed, retail sales could account for as much as 8%-10% of your gym’s revenue. In this blog article, you’ll learn more about how your gym can leverage a POS to sell more and grow faster.
How to Increase Gym Revenue with POS
Although there are plenty of clubs and gyms that don’t have retail operations, it’s often because managing inventory and ringing up merchandise can be overwhelming for a small staff. Larger clubs often have a staff member — or entire team — devoted to managing retail operations. But with point of sale and inventory management software, your team can easily ring up items while simultaneously tracking inventory and delivering the best member experience possible.
When retail sales are easier to manage, your team can start getting to know your members better and selling merchandise that helps supplement their workouts. For example, if your club offers members a weight management or health coaching program, you may want to offer retail items like meal replacements, shakes, smoothies, books, journals, and other items to complement the journey.
If you’re not sold on the power of selling retail items, just look at how brands such as Peloton or SoulCycle have built a huge following of people walking around with their name plastered on shirts, laptop stickers, bumper stickers, and more. If your members can get everything they need at your gym, you’ll end up saving them time and boosting your bottom line.
17 Ideas for Selling More at Your Club
There are plenty of ways that your club can launch or expand existing retail operations. How much you offer will depend on the size of space you have and what your members could benefit most from. Start small by testing out different essential items, and grow your retail operations as members ask for new items.
For example: Does your club have a pool? There are countless pool accessories you can sell, including towels, goggles, swimsuits, and more. Do you offer boxing classes? Sell gloves. Are people always forgetting their headphones? Sell them!
Here are some other things you can add to your pro shop and sell through your POS:
- Nutraceuticals (e.g., supplements and vitamins)
- Branded apparel and accessories
- Athleisure and athletic wear
- Smoothies, water, or protein bars
- Recovery equipment (e.g., foam rollers)
- Gift memberships
- Personal training packages
- Group class packages
- Bootcamp and challenge packages
- Electrolyte drinks
- Blender bottles
- Toiletries or health/beauty products
- Recipe or wellness books
- Reusable bottles and thermoses
- Sunscreen, lotion, and lip balm
- Seasonal items (e.g., pumpkin-themed products for fall)
- Yoga mats and accessories
Tips for Maximizing Retail Sales at Your Gym
Simply having retail items available for sale at your gym isn’t always enough — especially for members on a time crunch who are in and out. According to a RedPoint Global survey conducted by The Harris Poll, 54% of people are willing to share personal information if it will be used to create a personalized experience. Start by talking to your members to find out what they like, dislike, want, and need so you can cater to their preferences.
Here are a few additional tips to keep your point of sale software busy:
- Keep tabs on health and wellness trends (check out TikTok) so you can keep your retail space full of popular items, clothes, or equipment.
- In hot weather, ask members if they want a cold bottle of water or an electrolyte drink for recovery before they head back out.
- Choose a few protein bars, cut them up in to small pieces, and offer them as samples to members.
- Be sure you offer the items for sale on your website or mobile app, too, so you can maximize retail sales and meet members wherever they are.
- Ask your personal trainers what products or accessories they’re recommending to their clients and then sell those.
- No matter how popular an item is, make sure you’re only selling the products that you and your team believe in.
- Don’t forget to advertise your new retail offerings through email, on social media, and any other medium you use to reach members and leads.
Also, it’s important to establish your gym as the most knowledgeable club out there, and being able to speak about the products you’re selling is part of that. Your members want to be able to trust you, so be sure your team knows everything there is to know about every product you’re selling.
Boost Your Gym’s Revenue with ASF’s POS
If you’re ready to dive in and start selling some of the items we’ve mentioned in this article, let’s talk. We offer a powerful point of sale and inventory management system and can get your team start selling merchandise that resonates with your members — without your team feeling bogged down.
Are you ready to boost revenue at your gym? Learn more about ASF POS today.